ASAA2022 IDRC Scholarships for Early- & Mid-Career Scholars in Developing Countries
When is the Application Deadline:
24th March 2022
Tell Me About ASAA2022 IDRC Scholarships:
Funding from the IDRC has made available for a limited pool of scholarship awards for delegates to attend the upcoming 4th Biennial African Studies Association Conference (ASAA2022), held in Cape Town, South Africa, 11–16 April 2022.
We are pleased to assist in covering full registration fees for delegates presenting papers at the conference who would otherwise be unable to attend and who meet the additional criteria listed below.
The purpose of the ASAA2022 Scholarship Fund is to provide financial assistance toward the conference fees to those wishing to attend the conference that would otherwise be unable to attend because of present financial hardship.
What Type of Scholarship is this?
Who can apply for ASAA2022 IDRC Scholarships?
- Must be based at a university or a research organization or institution
- Must be either
- an early-career researcher, defined as being within 10 years of receiving their Ph.D.;
- a mid-career researcher, defined as being within 20 years of receiving their Ph.D.; or
- a student, defined as currently enrolled and actively studying for a Master’s or Doctorate degree at a university
- Must be presenting a paper at the ASAA2022 Conference either virtually or in-person
How are Applicants Selected?
Scholarships will be determined according to these criteria in descending order:
- Priority will be given to women
- Priority will be given to ASAA members
- Priority will be given to African academics and students
- Priority will be given to applicants who demonstrate a greater financial need
Which Countries are Eligible?
Where will Award be Taken?
Cape Town, South Africa
How Many Scholarships will be Given?
What is the Benefit of ASAA2022 IDRC Scholarships?
Financial scholarships generally cover conference registration only. They do not cover membership dues or journal subscriptions. They do not cover costs for travel or accommodation.
How Long will the Program Last?
11–16 April 2022.
How to Apply for ASAA2022 IDRC Scholarships:
Complete the online application for the ASAA2022 IDRC Open Scholarship and submit the supporting documents.
- Proof of employment or student enrolment
- Acceptance letter from ASAA2022
- Abstract of your submission
- Reason for application [demonstrate your need], 300 words
Closing date of applications
Scholarships can be applied for until 24th March 2022. Award recipients will be notified on an ongoing basis until the end of submissions. Late applications will only be considered as time and funds allow.