Which Universities Demand the BMAT? The Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is a two-hour paper-based exam with three sections. It is primarily used to gain admission to medical school, but some other courses, such as biomedical sciences and dentistry, also require it. Several colleges require the BMAT instead of the UCAT when applying to study medicine. Discover who they are and how they intend to use your score.
Which countries use the BMAT?
Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Poland, Singapore, Thailand, UAE, UK, and the USA.
How Do Universities Use BMAT Scores?
Each BMAT university will use your BMAT score differently.
Typically, the results are combined with your GCSE results and UCAS points to determine who advances to the interview stage. Some universities may value BMAT scores more than others.
BMAT universities in the UK
It is true that Brighton and Sussex have a minimum cutoff.
- A mark of three or more for Sections 1 and 2.
- Section 3 must be at least 2.5C or greater.
Once you’ve met the minimum requirements, your ranking will be determined by your BMAT score. The top scorers will be invited to an interview.
The minimum score for the 2019 application cycle was 16.1, while it was 16.4 for the 2018 cycle.
To be considered for an interview, you must achieve a certain score in each of the three parts.
This minimum varies from year to year, but the following is how it usually works:
Parts 1 and 2: 4.0 to 5.0
Part Three: 2.5
In 2019, the following were the minimum scores:
4.1 in Section 1
4.2 of Section 2
2.5 and grade C in Section 3
The only people who are required to take the BMAT are international students, who must also pay the overseas fee.
Your BMAT score will determine whether or not you are invited to an interview.
To determine the order in which the applicants are rated, the combined scores of the three sections of the BMAT are added up.
There is no consideration given to the Quality of English scores.
Although some students with scores lower than 10.5 were interviewed in 2019, the BMAT cut-off will most likely be around that figure. The university has stated that they have a “low probability” of doing so again.
There are no prerequisites that must be met in order to enroll at UCL.
A variety of factors are considered, including your personal statement, exam scores, and grade projections.
If your BMAT score is below average, you will have a lower chance of being accepted into the program; however, you still have a chance if you performed well in all other categories.
If your score is lower than these averages, you have a slim chance of being invited for an interview.
The admissions committee at Cambridge will take a more in-depth look at your application.
Your BMAT score will not always determine whether or not you are interviewed out of the approximately 90% of applicants who are considered. Your grades, personal statement, and interview performance are all taken into account.
Keep in mind that your application must be submitted to the college, not the university. Some colleges are more competitive than others, and they all place varying degrees of importance on the BMAT.
In Leeds, your overall performance across all three sections will be averaged. Part 3’s weight is equal to the sum of sections 1 and 2.
There is no set minimum score to enter; rather, it is determined by comparisons.
Even though your BMAT score is considered, it is not given the same weight as your other test scores and expected grades.
Your GCSE results and predicted grades are each assigned a score out of 35.
Your BMAT performance will be graded out of a possible 5 points. The top 20% of scorers will each receive five points, the next 20% will receive four points, and so on down the list.
While Cambridge interviews 90% of applicants, Oxford only meets with 30% of those who apply. Your GCSEs and BMAT score will both be given equal weight in the decision-making process.
This suggests that excellent GCSE results can compensate for a low BMAT score, and the opposite is true.
The weighting of the BMAT’s individual sections varies; for example, in 2020, sections 1 and 2 each received a weighting of 40%. Section 3 was given a weighting of 20% in the year 2020. Section 3 weights your score on the quality of the content twice as much as your mark on the quality of the English.
Which Universities Require BMAT – Other Universities That Require BMAT?
- Chiang Mai University, Thailand
- Navamindradhiraj University, Thailand
- Nazarbayev University School of Medicine
- Srinakharinwirot University, Thailand
- Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand
- Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery
- Thammasat University: CICM and Dentistry, Thailand
- Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dentistry
- University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Singapore
- King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang, Thailand
- Khon Kaen University, Thailand
- The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, School of Medicine, Greece
- CEU Cardenal Herrera University, Spain
- Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), Netherlands
- Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Lithuania
- Medical University of Gdańsk, Poland
- Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
- Pomeranian Medical University in Szczecin, Poland
- Universidad de Navarra, Spain
- Università Campus Bio-Medico di Roma (UCBM), Italy
- University of Pécs, Hungary
- The University of Rijeka, CroatiaUniversity of Twente, Netherlands
- University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Vasile Goldiș Western University of Arad, Romania
- The Wroclaw University of Environmental and Life Sciences, Poland